Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Reality Boy by A.S. King

This was my third book this year, so sorry for not posting any reviews on the previous two. :/
Genre: YA Contemporary Realism
Pages: 353
Type: Standalone 
My Rating: 4/5 
Synopsis: Gerald Faust knows exactly when he started feeling angry: the day his mother invited a reality television crew into his five-year-old life. Twelve years later, he’s still haunted by his rage-filled youth—which the entire world got to watch from every imaginable angle—and his anger issues have resulted in violent outbursts, zero friends, and clueless adults dumping him in the special education room at school.

Nothing is ever going to change. No one cares that he’s tried to learn to control himself, and the girl he likes has no idea who he really is. Everyone’s just waiting for him to snap…and he’s starting to feel dangerously close to doing just that.

In this fearless portrayal of a boy on the edge, highly acclaimed Printz Honor author A.S. King explores the desperate reality of a former child “star” who finally breaks free of his anger by creating possibilities he never knew he deserved.

Review: 
  This book just like, zoomed past my heart. 
It was really an eye-opening and moving book. King is a bloody genius. So you're probably wondering why this book wasn't given a fiver. That is because I was in a reading slump, wanting to read Outlander. (I currently am!) So aside from that, this book was pretty much a five if you ignore the seven long days it took me to complete it. 
  I honestly can't express how much I love realism. Which is what this book is. It is so raw and dysfunctional and moving and phenomenal, I just... 
  Gerald is by far one of the most pitiful and realistic and patient guy I have ever come across. Okay, maybe not patient. But, I mean, come on! It must take him loads of 'p' to not hit his ugly slutty sister! She sucks. 
  I loved the premise, I think it's extremely thoughtful and interesting to read about a former reality tv star. King's writing, as usual was stupendous. Poetic and had a way to tumble out your emotions. There was a good amount of character development as the story went along. 
  Overall, I think it's a brilliant, philosophical and moving story that anyone would enjoy reading. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment