Thursday, October 1, 2015

Keeping You a Secret by Julie Anne Peters

Genre: YA LGBTQIA
Pages: 250
Type: Standalone
First Published: 2003
My Rating: 4/5
Synopsis: With a steady boyfriend, the position of Student Council President, and a chance to go to an Ivy League college, high school life is just fine for Holland Jaeger. At least it seems to be. But when Cece Goddard comes to school, everything changes. Cece and Holland have undeniable feelings for each other, but how will others react to their developing relationship?

Review: 

Alright. So I have no clue why it's taken me so long to put this post up, but it has. And ok, maybe I know why I haven't. Maybe just a little. ;)

Anyways, so I actually happened to listen to this book. I was in the mood for something LGBT and this seemed to pass the mark. I read it over the span of a couple weeks, and I have to say, I was quite the fan.

I enjoyed it very much! The story line was decent with a usual boy meets girl story, except the 'boy' was replaced by 'girl'. I enjoyed all the characters in the book; they were all unique in their own way. I loved who Holland was as a person and I understood her need to be who she really is and not someone who is a lie. I thought that Holland's character came out very strong and empowering yet at the same time she wasn't dominating.

I absolutely loved the devotion she had towards Cece. I think that love of any kind; be it straight or homosexual, is still love. And I 100% am never going to discriminate between homosexual people and straight people. I just think that humans are humans, no matter if you're poor or rich, if you're black or white, if you're gay or straight. To me what matters is the personality. The characteristics of the person. As they, don't judge a book by it cover. That saying is to live by. Seriously. It's amazing.

Anyway, I loved the writing style of Julie and how everything came together. Unfortunately, since this book was written, back when there was no number besides 0 in the tens section of 2000, I couldn't relate as much. I would give the book 5 on 5 for its content but since I'm reading it now, when being gay is much more accepted and in the open and legal, I can't relate as much.


Overall, I loved the book. It was a good read and I recommend it to anyone interested in reading some LGBT that isn't too heavy and nor is too light.


No comments:

Post a Comment